Friday, July 30, 2010

Substituting green onions in a Hot and Sour Soup Recipe?

The recipe calls for 5 chopped scallions or green onions. I forgot to get them when I went to the grocery store. I have regular onions in my pantry and also dried chives. Would either of these work, and how much should I substitute?





Thanks!Substituting green onions in a Hot and Sour Soup Recipe?
5 chopped scallions is about one good sized regular onion. And yes, I would add about a tablespoon of the dried chives. I think it will come out great.


.Substituting green onions in a Hot and Sour Soup Recipe?
I personally am particular on it being the green onion so I wouldn't substitute either. Not the same. I am a BIG fan of hot and sour soup. I'll have to look for the recipe.. Hope you enjoy yours no matter what you decide.
It could work if you are not serving for a major party.


If I were you maybe I would put them first in the freezer in a ziplock bag so the flavor sits in for a while. If you have any other seasonings you can mix them in the ziplock bag when you take them out of the freezer. Slice them Juliane style really thin and long. I have never substituted things before but I hate going back to the store.. Season it up. You got to do what you got to do. It is your own creation, you are the cook.


Email me and let me know how it turned out to be...


Good luck do not sweat.


Creation is beautiful! Professionals do that all the time!


jaykay31@yahoo.com


www.foodnetwork.com
I really don't think it will taste the same. The regular onion is much stronger than the green onions. If you have to make it tonight, I would recommend using perhaps 1 tablespoon of very finely chopped onion. Fresh chives would be a good substitute for the green onions but the dried chives don't usually have much flavor. You could throw some dried chives in for a little flavor and green color - perhaps 2 teaspons.
I always have dried chives in my cupboard just in case...........I use that when I don't have green onions

No comments:

Post a Comment